Working Away from Home

What you can claim

You may be able to claim travel expenses you incurred for meals, accommodation and incidentals while away overnight for work – for example, going to an interstate work conference.

However, generally, if your travel did not involve an overnight stay, you can’t claim for meals even if you received a travel allowance.

Other travel expenses you may be able to claim include:

  • the costs you actually incur (such as fuel costs) when using a borrowed car or a vehicle other than a car for work purposes
  • air, bus, train, tram and taxi fares
  • car-hire fees.

You may have to show that you have reduced your claim to exclude any private portion of your trip.

If you receive an allowance from your employer for travel expenses, it is assessable income and must be included on your tax return. You may be able to claim a deduction for work-related expenses covered by these payments.

You are able to claim for travel between your home and your workplace in limited circumstances, such as if you need to carry bulky tools or equipment that you used for work and can’t leave it at your workplace. You can also claim for travel between two separate places of employment.